Saturday, January 20, 2007

Maslow's Quote

“A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. “

I don’t really agree with this quote of Maslow. I don’t like when he uses the word “must” because it sounds like he is pushing a duty to the person.
As for me, I don’t know if I can call myself an artist, but I like to paint and do activities regarding art. At times when I’m really involve doing some art work, time flies, and I catch myself again an hour or two later. I recall myself, it feels really good, I don’t know if I should call it “ultimately at peace” with myself, but I think it feels more like “peak experience.”

“If I were dropped out of a plane into the ocean and told the nearest land was a thousand miles away, I'd still swim. And I'd despise the one who gave up.”

Personally, this quote is similar to a Thai teaching that says “ความพยายามอยู่ที่ไหน ความสำเร็จอยู่ที่นั่น” This means if you try, finally you will achieve your goal. Or simply it implies that don’t give up.

This quote can give me strength at times that I should try hard at everything I wish to achieve regardless of all obstacles. I admit that at times there are (a lot of) times that I think of giving up. My parents often say that when I ever come across a problem, I rather give up of choose a path that is easier for me, which I think is true. If the situation in the quote really happens, I really don’t know what I will do. Honestly, at first I wouldn’t swim, but think again, just swim and I’ll be safe, I think I’ll try swimming.


“We are not in a position in which we have nothing to work with. We already have capacities, talents, direction, missions, and callings.”

I wonder if my father ever knew Maslow before because this quote is very similar to what he teaches my brother and I. My father always teaches us to be thankful for what we have because we’re luckier than others. We have almost everything necessary, we already have capacities, talents, direction, missions, and callings. We have everything ready, what is left is to only move the first step consciously, and then everything will follow its path.

“What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself.”
I guess it’s true, if I can change the way I look at myself, I’ll be happier. If we can change our self awareness, we should change it positively. If a girl is happy with whom she is, what she looks like, and feels confident, it will make everything better. Rather than caring with other thinks of us, we should care the way we think of ourselves.






“He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail.”
A person who is good with hammer, it can be compared to a person who reaches “self-actualization.” If a person reaches the top of the hierarchy of needs, they will see problems from the “real” situation and solve it consciously.




Quotes from www.brainyquotes.com



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home